This was something that I discovered when I lived in Australia. In the Little Italy part of Sydney there was the most amazing cheese shop called Paesanella. It was there that I discovered something called “Mascarpone Reale.” It is a cheese appetizer that appears to look like a cake. It is by far one of the most sinfully delious Low Carb treats you will ever taste. It is made up of layers of blue cheese and creamy mascarpone and then topped with chopped walnuts. Mascarpone is an amazing fresh and creamy italian style sweet cheese. It is similar to cream cheese, but is even creamier. It is a perfect complement to some firm blue cheese or gorgonzola. I chose to use the blue cheese that I had left over from the Stuffed Blue Cheese Olives. I loved this appetizer so much that I thought why not remake it for all of you. I hope you enjoy this sinful appetizer as much as I do.
- Line a 1 quart dish with cellophane. Make sure you use enough so it hangs over the sides of the dish.
- Spoon out about 2 to 3 tablespoons of mascarpone and smooth over the bottom of dish using the back of a spoon.
- Top with a 1/4″ slice of blue cheese. *Tip* I used a wire cheese cutter to cut the blue cheese. Blue cheese tend to crumble very easily and a wire cheese cutter helps prevent this.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the dish is full to the top.
- Finish with one more layer of mascarpone.
- Leaving the cellophane hanging over the sides of the dish, cover it and place in the fridge.
- Allow the cheese to set up in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Remove from the fridge.
- Sprinkle some walnuts on the top of the dish.
- Place a serving plate on top of the dish and turn upside down.
- Carefully remove the cellophane.
- Using remaining mascarpone, smooth out the top and sides of the cheese dish, as if it were a cake.
- Pat walnuts into the top and sides.
- Serve with sliced zucchini. Enjoy!