You may love the mashed potatoes and the stuffing, but my favorite side dish for the holiday season is the classic green bean casserole. If you opt out of using canned cream of mushroom, the side dish can easily become the perfect Low Carb dish. Simply make your own cream of mushroom with heavy cream, cream cheese and parmesan as the thickener and add your favorite ingredients. This is what I brought to Thanksgiving this year. What Low Carb side dish did you make?
- 2 lbs French Green Beans, ends cut
- 1 lb Baby Bella Mushrooms, Sliced (button mushrooms will also work)
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup French’s Fried Onions (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Shallot, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Steam green beans in a large pot with water and 1 teaspoon of salt until tender. About 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl with ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain in a colander.
- In a deep sauté pan add butter, olive oil and shallots. Sauté till tender on medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté till cooked through.
- Add cream, cream cheese, and spices. On low heat, mix until cream cheese has melted.
- Add green beans and half of the parmesan cheese and mix throughly.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish and top with parmesan cheese and fried onions.
- Bake for 30 to 40 mins until the cheese and onions are golden brown. Sorry for no final photo I took mine to my husband’s Aunt and Uncle’s home to finish the baking process. Enjoy!